“So you’re an entrepreneur with a dream. It’s a pretty big club you’ve just joined. But the club of folks who have actually graduated past the dream stage, and created a living, thriving business, is much, much smaller.”
That’s how Terry “Starbucker” St. Marie kicked off our 2014 Entrepreneurial Summit: The School of Hard Knocks. “There’s a big difference, then,” he continued, “between the dreamers and the doers.”
So, what is that difference? Over the course of the day, 15 successful local entrepreneurs tackled this core question as they related their personal stories and lessons learned the hard way.
Of the many great pieces of advice that our speakers offered, three surfaced again and again—take risks, get help, and don’t give up.
So if you’re paralyzed by fears of risking it all, going it alone, and ultimately, of failing, here’s some inspiration to move you from dreaming to doing:
– Jim Plymale, Clinicient
– Andras Gruber
– Lindsey Hammond Charlet, HUB Collective
– Natalie Ramsland, Sweetpea Bicycles
– Greg Bell, Water The Bamboo
– Micah Camden, Blue Star Donuts, Little Big Burger
– Marshall Kirkpatrick, Little Bird
– Betsy Langton, Betsy’s Best Bar None
– Ted Pappas, Big Bottom Whiskey
– Sam Pardue, Indow Windows
– Cory Carman, Carman Ranch
– Emma Mcilroy, Wildfang
– Luke Kanies, Puppet Labs
– Molly Lindquist, Consano
– Sean Beers, Korkers
For more quotes and lessons learned, click here to see our full recap of the event.