Angel Oregon Technology (AOTech) is the premier PNW technology education and investment event.
AOTech is designed to support early-stage technology startups based in Oregon and Southwest Washington by offering investment-readiness education, mentorship with successful local entrepreneurs in their sector, connectivity within the local technology community, and the opportunity to receive an equity investment from local angel investors.
The program is one in a series of Angel Oregon events facilitated by OEN which includes Angel Oregon Life and Bioscience (AOBIO) and Oregon Angel Food (OregonAF).
WHY IS AOTECH IMPORTANT FOR FOUNDERS AND ENTREPRENEURS?
- To build your business: learn how best to finance growth, meet investors, connect with mentors, and solve operational problems
- To build community: connect with fellow founders and investors in the technology sector, learn the stories behind home-grown successes, and grow your network
- To build the local economy: earn investment, find local suppliers, and meet local talent
WHO IS INVOLVED?
- FOUNDERS: Technology founders and founding teams of all kinds – and stages – are welcome to register for the education sessions.
- ANGELS: accredited investors game to invest collectively in a technology company and help grow the regional tech sector are welcome. Details below.
- MENTORS: specialists of all kinds support founders with their time and talents in grant applications, business model development, regulatory compliance and testing, and so on.
WHAT TYPE OF PROGRAMMING IS OFFERED?
- Kordior is offering a pre-launch Non Technical Founders SaaS Workshop on Tuesday, April 4th starting at 11 am open to all non-technical founders regardless of stage.
- AOTech kicks off Thursday, April 6th with two informational sessions – one for entrepreneurs and one for investors.
- Then the Entrepreneur Education Series starts on Thursday, April 13th with a four-week investment-readiness education series for life and bioscience startups at any stage of development.
- Virtual Practice Pitch on Friday, May 5th and the FastPitch for investment ready companies on Wednesday, May 10th, will be hosted following the education sessions.
- AOTech Grand Finale will be held live on Thursday, June 22nd from 3-7pm at Jupiter NEXT, live and open to the public.
There are two capital programs available through AOTech. Companies may only apply to one capital program as they support different stages. For early stage companies ready for dilutive investment, there is an investor track. For concept stage companies, led by at least one BIPOC founder, non-dilutive capital is available through the Emerge Initiative.
Early stage companies ready for dilutive capital investment may apply to this program.
What is an early stage company eligible to apply for investment through AOTech?
Those with an established product/service, team, advisory board and roadmap may apply for consideration for the AOTech equity investment.
The application will require a pitch deck and financials. Interested founders should be able to demonstrate traction for a proof of concept in the form of prior funding (via grants, loans, “friends & family”) and have a clear sense of the company’s valuation.
Concept stage companies, led by at least one BIPOC founder, may apply to the Emerge Initiative
What is a concept stage company eligible to apply for non-dilutive capital through AOTech Emerge?
Those with an idea; backed by some level of customer research and discovery that can demonstrably show a market need with a viable solution AND those who have at least one founder who identifies as BIPOC and has majority equity may apply for the AOTech Emerge Initiative.
Ideally, applicants have a “side business” with some level of customer interaction that they are trying to expand into a formal small business. The application will require a pitch deck and explanation of the problem, solution, and traction with customer discovery and/or customer sales. No prior funding is required.
Key Entrepreneur Dates & Details
- ENTREPRENEUR INFO SESSION: April 6th 8:30-9:15 AM, via Zoom (Register Here)
- ENTREPRENEUR REGISTRATION DEADLINE: April 27th (Register Here)
- EDUCATION SESSIONS: (All sessions recorded and transcribed) April 13th, April 20th, April 27th, and May 4th
- PRACTICE PITCH: May 5th 9:00-11:00 AM (via Zoom)
- FASTPITCH: May 10th 4:00 – 7:00 PM at Stoel Rives.
- INVESTOR/FOUNDER MIXER: June 1st for participating entrepreneurs and investors
- GRAND FINALE & SHOWCASE: June 22nd, 2023, 3-7pm at Jupiter NEXT, live and open to the public
Entrepreneur Education Session Details
Goal: Illuminate the path to scaling in the technology sector so founders can make the smartest possible decisions in the early stages of their companies’ development, particularly as it relates to taking investment. Founder registration deadline is April 27, 2023.
Meet your heroes! The workshops will be entrepreneur-led and driven, featuring successful local founders and mentors.
April 13th: Investment Routes for your Tech Startup
This session will explore the types of funding available to founders and go deep into navigating funding based on the stage of your business and the developmental phase of your product. Beyond traditional venture capital, there is a funding landscape that includes federal and state opportunities as well as financing options that will be discussed. Featuring: Leon Wolf, VertueLab; Thomas Schnell, Business Oregon
April 20th: Surviving Technical Due Diligence
This session will foster a conversation about the technical due diligence process, what topics will be addressed, which documents you’ll have to produce, and how to prepare mentally for such an exercise. Featuring: Ryan Comingdeer, Investor; Deepthi Madhava, Oregon Venture Fund
April 27: Building a Diverse & Versatile Team
This session will discuss team structure, from finding a co-founder to building out your c-suite, and how it evolves at different stages in your company’s journey. The speakers will touch on how to curate talent that fits properly in an ideal tech startup team structure and expand with your company’s growth. Featuring: Himalaya Rao-Potlapally, The BFM Fund; Kabir Bhatia, Investor
May 4th: Pitch Perfect: The Dos and Don’ts of Investor Pitching
This session will focus on what not to do, such as getting too detailed on the tech. And will also cover what to absolutely include in your pitch such as tailoring it to your audience and other tips for the perfect pitch! This session will focus on what not to do, such as getting too detailed on the tech. And will also cover what to absolutely include in your pitch such as tailoring it to your audience and other tips for the perfect pitch! Featuring: Sce Pike, ADT; John Harkness, Rewire Neuro
May 5th: Practice Pitch
May 10th: AOTech Fast Pitch hosted by Stoel Rives. During these fastpitch sessions, AOTech entrepreneurs will give a 3-5 minute pitch introducing their company to local investors.
All workshops and the practice pitch will be conducted via Zoom. Content portions will be recorded and transcribed. Recordings and transcripts will be available to all registered participants.
A live AOTech Mixer will be held for registered founders, committed investors and select media in Portland on June 1st.
Key Investor Dates & Details
- INVESTOR INFO SESSION: Thursday April 6th 4:00-5:15 PM, via Zoom (Register Here)
- INVESTOR COMMIT DEADLINE: Friday, May 5th to participate in all due diligence
- INVESTOR DUE DILIGENCE KICK-OFF: Monday, May 8th, 9:30 AM, via Zoom
- DUE DILIGENCE I: Thursday, May 11th – Wednesday, May 31st
- FINALIST SELECTION: Thursday, June 1st
- AOTECH MIXER: Thursday, June 1st, an invitation to follow for committed investors
- DUE DILIGENCE II: Friday, June 2nd – Wednesday, June 14th
- FINAL DELIBERATION & VOTE: Tuesday, June 20th, 9:00 AM, via Zoom
- AOTECH GRAND FINALE & SHOWCASE: Thursday, June 22nd from 3 – 7 pm at Jupiter NEXT.
As an AOTech Investor, you’ll buy units ($5k/ea) to join a collective angel investment in a local bioscience startup. You’ll participate in conducting due diligence on applicant companies as a group and then will vote at the end of the process on one company to received the entire equity investment. The investment fund is professionally managed by a third party entity through the life of the investment to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and tax regulations.
To learn more or to sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
AOTech Grand Finale & Showcase
The Grand Finale & Showcase featuring finalist and showcase pitches will be held live on Thursday, June 22nd in Portland at Jupiter NEXT.
This is where the whole program comes together and the community is invited to attend! AOTech investment finalists and Emerge Initiative winners will present on the main stage and an industry showcase will be open to the public.