Angel Oregon Life & Bioscience (AOBIO) is the premier PNW bioscience education & investment event.
AOBIO is designed to support early-stage life and bioscience startups based in Oregon and Southwest Washington by offering investment-readiness education, mentorship with successful local entrepreneurs in their sector, connectivity within the local bioscience community, and the opportunity to receive an equity investment from local angel investors.
WHY IS AOBIO IMPORTANT FOR FOUNDERS AND ENTREPRENEURS?
- To build your business: learn how best to finance growth, meet investors, connect with mentors, and solve operational problems
- To build community: connect with fellow founders and investors in the bioscience sector, learn the stories behind home-grown successes, and grow your network
- To build the local economy: earn investment, find local suppliers, and meet local talent
WHO IS INVOLVED?
- FOUNDERS: Life & bioscience founders and founding teams of all kinds – therapeutics, diagnostics, medical device, health innovation – are welcome to register for the education sessions.
- ANGELS: accredited investors game to invest collectively in a life- or bioscience company and help grow the regional bioscience sector are welcome. Details below.
- MENTORS: specialists of all kinds support founders with their time and talents in grant applications, business model development, regulatory compliance and testing, and so on.
WHAT TYPE OF PROGRAMMING IS OFFERED?
- AOBIO kicks off Wednesday, February 15th with TWO informational sessions – one for entrepreneurs and one for investors.
- Then the Entrepreneur Education Series starts on Wednesday, February 22nd with a four-week investment-readiness education series for life and bioscience startups at any stage of development.
- Practice Pitch sessions will be offered virtually and a FastPitch session will be hosted by the Oregon Bio Association.
- AOBIO Grand Finale & Showcase will be held live on Wednesday, May 17th from 3-7pm at Amaterra Winery, live and open to the public.
Key Entrepreneur Dates & Details
- ENTREPRENEUR INFO SESSION: Feb 15th 8:30-9:15 AM, via Zoom (Register here)
- ENTREPRENEUR REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Feb 21st (Register here)
- EDUCATION SESSIONS: (All sessions recorded and transcribed) Feb 22nd, Mar 1st, Mar 8th and Mar 15th
- PRACTICE PITCH: March 23rd 9:00-11:00 AM (via Zoom)
- AOBIO FASTPITCH: TBA and hosted by the Oregon Bio Association
- AOBIO INVESTOR/FOUNDER MIXER: Mid-April for participating entrepreneurs and investors
- AOBIO GRAND FINALE & SHOWCASE: May 17, 2023, 3-7pm at Amaterra Winery, live and open to the public
Entrepreneur Education Session Details
Goal: Illuminate the path to scaling in the life and bioscience sector so founders can make the smartest possible decisions in the early stages of their companies’ development, particularly as it relates to taking investment. Founder registration deadline is February 21st, 2023.
Meet your heroes! The workshops will be entrepreneur-led and driven, featuring successful local founders and mentors.
- February 22: Navigating the Funding Landscape
- March 1: Equity from the Ground Up
- March 8: What Investors Really Want: Discussions, Due Diligence, & Data Rooms
- March 15: Pitch Perfect: The Dos and Don’ts of Investor Pitching
All workshops and the practice pitch will be conducted via Zoom. Content portions will be recorded and transcribed. Recordings and transcripts will be available to all registered participants.
A live AOBIO Mixer will be held for registered founders, committed investors and select media in Portland in mid-April.
Key Investor Dates & Details
- INVESTOR INFO SESSION: Feb 15th 4:00-5:15 PM, via Zoom(Register here)
- INVESTOR COMMIT DEADLINE: March 17th to participate in all due diligence
- INVESTOR DUE DILIGENCE KICK-OFF: March 20th, 9:30am, via Zoom
- DUE DILIGENCE I: Week of April 3rd
- FINALIST SELECTION: April 17th
- AOBIO MIXER: Mid-April and invitation to follow for committed investors
- DUE DILIGENCE II: April 18th – May 16th
- AOBIO GRAND FINALE & SHOWCASE: May 17th
As an AOBIO Investor, you’ll buy units ($5k/ea) to join a collective angel investment in a local bioscience startup. You’ll participate in conducting due diligence on applicant companies as a group and then will vote at the end of the process on one company to received the entire equity investment. The investment fund is professionally managed by a third party entity through the life of the investment to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and tax regulations.
To learn more or to sign up, please email email@example.com.
AOBIO Grand Finale & Showcase
The Grand Finale & Showcase featuring finalist and showcase pitches will be held live on Wednesday, May 17th in Portland at Amaterra Winery
This is where the whole program comes together and the community is invited to attend! AOBIO investment finalists and Emerge Initiative winners will present on the main stage and an industry showcase will be open to the public.