Angel Oregon Life & Bioscience (AOBIO) is a premier PNW bioscience education & investment event.
AOBIO is designed to support early-stage life and bioscience startups based in Oregon and Southwest Washington by offering investment-readiness education, mentorship with successful local entrepreneurs in their sector, connectivity within the local bioscience community, and the opportunity to receive an equity investment from local angel investors.
The program is one in a series of Angel Oregon events facilitated by OEN in collaboration with Oregon Bioscience Incubator/OTRADI, OHSU and Oregon Bioscience Association.
- FOUNDERS: Life & bioscience founders and founding teams of all kinds – therapeutics, diagnostics, medical device, health innovation – are welcome to register for the education sessions. Please see details below to be considered for investment.
- ANGELS: accredited investors game to invest collectively in a life- or bioscience company and help grow the regional bioscience sector are welcome. Details below.
- MENTORS: specialists of all kinds support founders with their time and talents in grant applications, business model development, regulatory compliance and testing, and so on.
- Educational workshops will be held virtually via Zoom. All sessions will be recorded and content made available to registered participants. A live event for participating makers and investors will be held in April in Portland.
- AOBIO Grand Finale & Showcase will be held live on May 26th, 2022 and will be open to the public.
- To build your business: learn how best to finance growth, meet investors, connect with mentors, and solve operational problems
- To build community: connect with fellow founders and investors in the bioscience sector, learn the stories behind home-grown successes, grow your network
- To build the local economy: earn investment, find local suppliers, meet local talent
Key Founder Dates & Details:
- FOUNDER INFO SESSION: Feb 16th, 8:30am, recording
- FOUNDER REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Feb 22nd (late applications accepted, please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CORE WORKSHOPS: (All sessions recorded and transcribed.) Feb 23rd, Mar 2nd, Mar 9th and Mar 16th
- OFFICE HOURS: Feb 24th, Mar 3rd, Mar 10th, and Mar 17th
- AOBIO MIXER: Investment candidate finalists will be announced at a live mixer in Portland on April 20th at Absci HQ in Vancouver, WA.
- AOBIO GRAND FINALE & SHOWCASE: May 26, 2022, 3-7pm at Amaterra Winery, live and open to the public.
Education Session Details:
Goal: illuminate the path to scaling in the life and bioscience sector so founders can make the smartest possible decisions in the early stages of their companies’ development, particularly as it relates to taking investment.
Meet your heroes! The workshops will be entrepreneur-led and driven, featuring successful local founders and mentors.
- February 23: Life & Bioscience Sector Map – featuring Holly Rockweiler, Madorra & Erik Tucker, Aronora, presented by OHSU
This session will lay out a map of the life & bioscience sector, differentiating between therapeutics, medical devices, digital health, etc., and highlight implications for funding strategies (grant/non-dilutive funding, angel, venture, self, etc.), R&D, regulatory approvals, and go to market strategies for each.
- March 2: Building the Bio Investment Case – featuring Patti White, Hemex Health, Emmanuel Akporiaye, Veana Therapeutics & Mike Fitzpatrick, Vector Remote Care, presented by Perkins Coie
Map in hand, this session will go deeper on revenue models, phases of clinical trials or regulatory approvals if applicable, customer segmentation, sales and marketing strategies, product development roadmaps, etc. by specialty. The goal is to illuminate details – including potential challenges and pitfalls – to build a solid case for investment.
- March 9: What Investors Really Want – featuring Ann Bunnenberg, Investor, John Harkness, Rewire Neuro, & Gregory Schiffman, Absci, presented by Vantage Point Advisors
Get it straight from the investors themselves: What’s the process and rhythm of equity fundraising? What do you need to prepare for due diligence? How do you approach the investor conversations?
- March 16: What Does DEI Mean in Science Startups? – featuring DaWayne Judd, Consultant & Himalaya Rao-Potlapally, Black Founders Matter
This session will foster a conversation about how race shows up in bioscience companies, and the implications and strategies for recruiting investors, team, and customers. Himalaya will also share details of the Emerge Initiative grant program for early stage founders of color.
Office Hours will be held on Feb 24th, Mar 3rd, Mar 10th and Mar 17th from 9-10am with the OBI Entrepreneurs in Residence, Gordon Hoffman and Bill Newman, for additional Q&A or support.
All workshops and office hours will be conducted via Zoom. Content portions will be recorded and transcribed. Recordings and transcripts will be available to all registered participants. Transcripts can be provided in Spanish upon request.
A live AOBIO Mixer will be held for registered founders, committed investors and select media in April in Portland.
Key Investor Dates & Details:
- INVESTOR INFO SESSION: Feb 16th, 4pm, recording
- INVESTOR COMMIT DEADLINE: March 18th to participate in all due diligence
- INVESTOR KICK-OFF: March 22, 9am, via Zoom
- DUE DILIGENCE I: Week of 3/28
- FINALIST SELECTION: April 20th
- AOBIO MIXER: April 20th
- DUE DILIGENCE II: April 21st – May 25th
- AOBIO GRAND FINALE & SHOWCASE: May 26th
As an AOBIO Investor, you’ll buy units ($5k/ea) to join a collective angel investment in a local bioscence startup. You’ll participate in conducting due diligence on applicant companies as a group and then will vote at the end of the process on one company to received the entire equity investment. The investment fund is professionally managed by a third party entity through the life of the investment to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and tax regulations.
To learn more or to sign up, please email email@example.com.
May 26th: AOBIO Grand Finale & Showcase
The Grand Finale & Showcase featuring finalist and showcase pitches will be held live on May 26th in Portland. This is where the whole program comes together and the community is invited to attend! AOBIO investment finalists and Emerge Initiative winners will present on the main stage and an industry showcase will be open to the public.