Press release contributed by University of Oregon Journalism Student, Geneva Turrini
To follow the action at NVC and find more information regarding the event, please visit our blog and website (www.oregonnvc.com), Facebook page (facebook.com/NewVentureChampionship), and Twitter (@OregonNVC).
Eugene, Ore. – The Charles H. Lundquist Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of Oregon recently announced the 16 semifinalist ventures that will compete in the 22nd annual New Venture Championship (NVC) in Portland, Oregon held April 4-6, 2013 at the Embassy Suites Downtown hotel.
These 16 teams are winners of the first round of competition where more than 60 university-based ventures from around the globe sought admission to semifinal round of NVC. For the semifinal round, teams travel to Portland to pitch their venture plan before panels of judges that include investment specialists, seasoned business executives and experienced entrepreneurs.
The semifinalists are competing for one of four positions in Saturday’s final round of NVC. In the final round, teams are pushed to present and defend their venture concepts at the highest level possible before of a new panel of judges to earn NVC’s $25,000 cash grand prize.
2013 NVC Semifinal Competitors:
- SensorHound Innovations – Purdue University
- Nutri Food – Thammasat University
- Wedlum – Yale University & U of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign
- AGcerez – Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration
- Awair: Breathe Better Technology – Stanford University
- Picasolar – University of Arkansas
- YPT Venture – Nanyang Technological University
- PathoS – John Hopkins University
- Focus Solutions – Stephen M Ross School of Business, University of Michigan
- JLC Traders – University of Warwick
- Medlock – Brigham Young University
- Real Energy Partners – University of Oregon
- SchemaFusion – Carnegie Mellon University
- Beyonic – University of Texas Austin
- Solaris – Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- VOC Diagnostic Group – University of Louisville
The challenging NVC competition attracts venture teams of graduate students from around the world who submit business plans in the hopes of turning their business concepts into reality. Teams have the opportunity to network with a regionally based entrepreneurial community and win up to $25,000 in seed funding for their venture.
The competition will take place over the course of three days and five different rounds until leading to the competition finals. Four teams will compete in the final for the $25,000 grand prize while the other twelve teams will compete in the OEN Lightning Round. The Schedule of events is as follow:
Thursday April 4th
1:00 PM – 4:00 PM OEN Start-Up Round – Conference Center
4:30 PM – 6:00 PM Teams: Tradeshow Set-up – UO White Stag Building
5:00 PM – 6:00 PM Judges: Opening Night Reception – UO White Stag Building
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM Tektronix Trade Show & Elevator Pitch Competition – UO White Stag Building
Friday April 5th
9:15 AM – 12:15 PM NVC Semifinal Round – Conference Center
12:30 PM – 2:00 PM Keynote Luncheon – Scott Kveton, CEO of Urban Airship – Queen Marie Ballroom
2:30 PM – 4:15 PM Individual Semifinalist Team Feedback – Conference Center
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM NVC Team Bowl & Blue Star Gas Announcement of Finalists – Grand Central Bowling Alley
Saturday April 6th
9:00 AM – 12:45 PM NVC Final Round – Colonel Lindbergh Room
9:15 AM – 12:30 PM OEN Lightning Round – Conference Center
2:00 PM – 3:45 PM Individual Finals Team Feedback – Fireside Room
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Columbia Sportswear Awards Reception – Colonel Lindbergh Room